A Second Chance At The Most Important Meal Of The Day
If the Hobbits can do it, why can’t our kids? In our rushed and harried lives, too many don’t eat breakfast. Some choose to skip a meal, many do not. Feeding our children where they are every day makes sense.
The “second chance breakfast” program is designed to promote healthy living and also increase classroom attendance. It’s also an example of designing for what works, namely nourished, alert and in attendance students.
There are a well developed list of resources for parents, school board members or food service professionals.
- Sample Second Chance Breakfast Menu (North Carolina Public Schools)
- School Breakfast Best Practice Resources: Includes sample rollout timelines, template letters for teachers, English/Spanish flyers to promote breakfast, etc. (No Kid Hungry)
- Breakfast Bulletin Board Resources (United States Department of Agriculture)
- Downloadable School Breakfast Materials (Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education)
- School Breakfast Toolkit (United States Department of Agriculture)
- A Fresh Start for School Breakfast: A School Nutrition Breakfast Resource (School Nutrition Association, The Alliance for a Healthier Generation)